Wednesday, August 12, 2009

INNNNNNNVEENNNNNNNNTORRRRRRYYYYYY!!!!!

I hate inventory as it is. Most cooks and chefs probably do. We'd rather be cooking or working on recipes, dreaming up a new dish or perfecting an old one than counting meat and tomatoes and crunching numbers. I have to admit though, there's a little satisfaction that comes from being on top of the business side of your kitchen and having all the numbers come out on your side.

At least...that's the way it was. I'll give you a little piece of advice that I just learned: If you are ever faced with a situation where you have to create an inventory system using PixelPOS or similar software and you are slightly more than say a sandwich shop or lunch counter or some ridiculous chain restaurant that buys everything in bottles; I strongly advise you to get the hell out of there...now.

Suffice it to say the inventory crap that I put about a month of ridiculous work into....does not work. At least not for me. I'm done with it. I'm done stressing about it and feeling stupid because I can't make it work right. To the best of my knowledge, it's never going to work right. At least, not for us, and not for the kind of operation that we have.

I'm going to have a meeting with the owner tomorrow to calmly explain to them that the reports they've been waiting for aren't coming. At least, not from that system, and that I'm going back to my old spreadsheets, and possibly some new ones, updating them, putting numbers in them, and will be back to making real reports in about a week.

Seriously, this almost made me want to quit cooking altogether. It made me feel like a failure. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty good with business stuff and spreadsheets and food-costing and all that stuff. Some days, when I can make good progress on it, and everything is working just right, I actually kinda like it. But this...this was just a nightmare.

There's a strong possibility of there being some strong words used tomorrow. There's a possibility I might quit or get fired. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment