Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Out of the frying pan, into the fire

Let's start at the very beginning for now. Things may get all over the place after that, timeline-wise, but for now, the beginning seems good.

Flashback to 2002. A young idealistic computer engineering student with his whole life and a good career in front of him. Cooking hasn't really crossed his mind at this point, although he does enjoy cooking for his girlfriend and friends. The only problem is that he's beginning to hate the career that might be in front of him, and the prospect of working with the goofs he's going to school with for the rest of his life is...well...unappealing.

Jeezus, I could go on like that forever. Suffice it to say that I hated school and the thought of being stuck at a desk with a bunch of nerds as a career was actually depressing me. I mean thoroughly. I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do, I just knew I had to get the hell out of there.

It was only really by chance that I got into cooking. I had prepared a dinner for a girl that I was trying to be dating at the time, and after she had gone home, a friend of mine came over and we split the leftovers. The conversation is pretty fuzzy at this point, but it went something like this:

"This is pretty fucking good."

"Yeah, thanks."

"No, really. You should go into cooking."

Like I said, it's pretty fuzzy, and I'm probably leaving out some details, but those are just that, details, and at this point, they don't matter that much. The point is, even though I just thought it was a crazy idea at the time, that crazy idea was a seed that grew and grew and grew and along with it, my hatred for the career path that I'd chosen. It grew to the point one day that I decided I was going to drop out of computer engineering and enrole in the culinary arts in the next semester.

And that's the start. I'd like to think that I'll continue this in some sort of orderly fashion, passing through what was supposed to be my school years but ended up being year, all the way through my shitty first jobs right up to the point that I'm at now, but we all know that isn't going to happen. I will, however, attempt to intersperse the random rants and brain-spewage with posts that actually make some sense and follow my ever-so-glamorous career development.

No comments:

Post a Comment